Friday, December 21, 2012

Glossybox December-First Impressions


Yay! Its the most wonderful time of the month! Its Glossybox time again! Its ridiculous how happy I get when I see my Glossybox.

Now, before I go into the products I got this month, just a little note on Glossybox’s weird customer service. Not bad, just weird. The last two months (which by the way are the only two months that I have gotten Glossybox) I have gotten panic-inducing emails telling me there is some problem with my order. Last month it was that my payment didn’t go through. Then within 24 hours I got another email saying that they had made an error and to disregard the previous email. This month it was (and I quote) “We are unable to fulfill your Glossybox order. Please update your shipping and billing information on our website.” Okay so that’s not exactly a quote but its pretty close to what they said. I knew it was pretty close to when they would be shipping them out so I got a little concerned. Then I couldn’t get onto the website because it was under maintenance, then when I finally did my information was all right and in fact I didn’t even see any where to change the information. So I sent them an email and got back a form email saying something about an unusually high volume…blah blah blah…they would get back to me as soon as possible…my question was very important to them…and I felt like Phoebe on friends that time when she is on hold for like 24 hours. I was all ready to not even get my Glossybox. I was like, they are going to take two weeks to get back to me and by the time they get back to me, they’ll already have sent out all of the Glossyboxes and I’ll be shit out of luck. But then I happened to check the Glossybox website in the My Orders section and it said my December Glossybox had been shipped. Usually they send me like five emails saying OMG its on its way! and crap like that but not this time. I never received any kind of email saying it had shipped. Then I got an email saying that the previous email was sent in error and to disregard it. Almost the same wording as before! I’m not even joking! I don’t know if their computer hates me and keeps automatically sending me these things or what is going on but its weird.

But anyway. I have my Glossybox and that is all that matters. I was just as excited to get my Glossy box this month as last month. My boyfriend brought the mail in and said “What’s a Glossybox?” and I squealed, jumped off the couch, and ripped it out of his hands. Inside, wrapped in cute Christmas themed tissue paper, were the following items:

Heartland Fragrance Co. White Ginger Bath Salts (no not the crazy drug you snort)

Sample was 5.5 oz (which it says is good for one bath)
Full-sized- $10 for 30 oz or $19.99 for 66 oz at www.heartlandfragrance.com

From what I can tell through the bag these have a light, pleasant herby smell. I love any excuse to take a bath so I will be enjoying these. I’ll write a full review after I’ve used them.

Ecru New York Acacia Protein Oil

Sample was a teensy vial
Full-sized- $30 for 1.7 oz at www.ecrunewyork.com

This is apparently a moisturizing and conditioning oil for your hair that has collagen, hydrolyzed keratin, and extra virgin argan oil. Its supposed to protect against heat damage. I’m a little disappointed at the measly size of it but oh well.

Zoya Nail Laquer in Ziv (which is gold and shimmery)

Sample was full-sized- $8 for .5 oz at www.zoya.com

I have mixed feelings about this. I’m not a huge nail polish person  but I have been wanting to branch out a little more into painting my nails more often. However, I feel like a bright, glittery va va voom gold is a little out of my comfort zone. It is festive for the holidays. I guess I’ll have to actually paint my nails with it before I can really make a judgement about whether or not I like it.

Forest Essentials Luxurious Ayurveda Madurai Jasmine & Mogra Bath & Shower Oil

Sample was about half-size
Full-sized is $22 for 6.8 oz (I’m not sure where they got this price because apparently you can’t actually buy this is the US and all of the ones I found on Amazon were twice this price)

I’m actually quite excited to try this. I use a lot of body lotion in the winter but I’ve never used a body oil. Apparently you put this on after you get out of the shower to “lock in moisture.” It also says you can put some of it in your bath for moisturizing. I like jasmine and I love the smell of this. A full review will follow at some point.

Oscar Blandi Dry Styling Heat Protectant Spray

Sample size- .75 oz (a good travel size)
Full-sized- $23 for 4 oz at www.oscarblandi.com or sephora.com

I got really excited when I saw this because I thought it was Oscar Blandi’s dry shampoo which I have been really wanting to try. But its not dry shampoo. Oh well. This spray is supposed to protect hair from heat and add shine with keratin. Its not very big so it shouldn’t last long but for someone who travels (which I do not) this would be a nice travel size to take with you. I’ll review it fully after I try it out.

Issey Miyake Pleats Please Eau de Toilette

Sample is a small vial
Full-sized- $66 for 1.6 oz or $92 for 3.4 oz at www.nordstrom.com

This came on a little strong when I first sprayed it (and actually before I’d even sprayed it it stunk up everything in my box) but after having it on for an hour or so it fades to a faintly musky, vanilla-y, floweriness. I don’t usually like musk but I like this. I don’t think I would pay $92 for it but I’ll definitely use up my sample.

Assorted Jewelry from Jewelmint

Various styles $29.99

Apparently JewelMint.com is a website that recommends you jewelry and helps you stay on trend or whatever. That’s well and good but I am really confused by what I got. It was housed in a little black velvet back and I had no idea what could be in it. So I’ll dump out these two things that I guess are rings? I wasn’t sure at first. One of them is really weird and boxy with fake rhinestones and the other one is a weird like double humped thing that looks like an M when you hold it sideways. Besides the fact that the rings are ugly, and cheap looking and obviously costume jewelry; they are way too small to fit on my fingers. They don’t even fit on my pinkie. Do I have huge man hands? I don’t think so. I’m going to look more into this and I will get back to you. But seriously I’m just gonna have to throw these out. I don’t know anyone with small enough hands to actually wear them and besides their ugly so I don’t know anyone who would want them.

Overall, I’m not quite as happy with this box as I was with last months. The sample sizes were smaller and those stupid rings are useless. By my calculations this box was worth almost $27 ($57 if you count the rings, which I don’t) which is significantly less than last month. But except for the rings I will use everything in here so that’s something anyway. And also, according to Glossybox.com a possible product to get in your box was OC8 Professional Mattifying Gel. Hello! Oily face here! Why would I not have gotten that? Do you people even read the beauty profiles? Next month better be great, that’s all I’m saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment