Monday, December 10, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things


Here are some products that I use regularly. All prices are from Walmart (where I shop) and are rounded up to the nearest dollar.

Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition Shampoo & Conditioner- $5 for 25.4 oz

I went through quite a period of time of buying a different brand of shampoo every time I bought shampoo but I settled on this brand. I love how soft, shiny, and silky it makes my hair and has a light fruity smell (which I believe comes from the black currant seed oil) that everyone always compliments me for. It has grape seed oil, olive oil, and shea oil for deep nourishment. And its cheap! This huge bottle usually lasts me a month or so. It cleans my hair well without making it too dry. I love it.

Basis Cleaner Clean Face Wash - $4 for 6 oz

I have acne-prone skin and I have tried almost everything out there. There are so many harsh acne cleansers that either dry out my skin, irritate it and make the acne worse, or both. This face wash is the best one I have tried so far. It is a gentle gel cleanser that foams up well, leaving my skin feeling clean and soft and not at all dry. Its oil-free and soap-free, instead using natural ingredients such as aloe, lemongrass, rosemary, and mint to clean. With ingredients like that you would expect it to have a nasty herby smell but instead it has a light, refreshing smell that I love.

Yes to Tomatoes Skin Clearing Facial Mask- $15 for 1.7 oz

I love this whole line actually but I use this mask once a week or so. It’s a thick, white, clay mask that smells like vanilla. It uses natural dead sea minerals and lycopene from tomatoes to unclog pores and even skin tone. Every time I use it I can tell instantly that the redness of my face is toned down and my skin is softer.

Olay Skin Smoothing Cream Scrub- $7 for 6 oz

This scrub uses salicylic acid and gentle beads to exfoliate away dead skin cells. I use it once or twice a week and it leaves my skin feeling smooth as a baby’s bottom. It is quite drying so make sure you use a good moisturizer afterwards and it claims that you can use it daily but I wouldn’t recommend using it that often, especially if you have dry skin anyway. Actually as I sit here and think about it I probably could find something that works better without drying the crap out of my skin.

Dove Deep Moisture Body Wash- $6 for 24oz

I use this stuff in the winter and it is great. Its thick and luxurious and hydrates so well. Its like taking a shower in lotion. It uses nutrient moisture technology (that sounds so fancy) to hydrate deep down. I do not however like the smell. I think next time I buy some I will look into getting a different scent. Its sort of a laundry detergent-y synthetic-y smell. Its great for winter but I think it would be too much for summer. My chest and back tend to break out in the summer.

Dial All Day Freshness Spring Water Body Wash- $4 for 18 oz

As I have said my skin is acne-prone. . .not just my face. I get pimples on my chest, back, and occasionally on my legs and other unmentionable places. I have often wanted to try some of those body washes with salicylic acid to treat acne but I’m afraid it would dry out my skin. So I stick with this. Its antibacterial to kill bacteria on the surface of you body and also works as a deodorizer. I know no one likes to talk about it but you know that funk you get going on in your cleavage when its gross and sticky and humid outside? Come on ladies you know what I’m talking about. This stuff is great for that. The smell is supposed to be spring water but really I think it smells more like watermelon bubblegum.  Which is a good thing by the way. I love watermelon bubblegum. Its subtle though, not too perfumey. I only use this in the summer though. Once the air starts to get drier my skin needs more moisture.

Blistex Deep Renewal Lip Protectant- $2 for one tube

This is the best chapstick I have ever used. It is rich and thick and very moisturizing. It doesn’t feel waxy like some chapstick can. It has a lightly sweet flavor and makes your lips so shiny it could almost double as a lip gloss. As a bonus it has coenzyme Q10 for anti-aging and SPF 15 for sun protection.

Now, you will notice that all of these are inexpensive. Very inexpensive. And are drug-store brands. I have a very strong feeling that I am quickly going to find out that all of these high end products I'm getting from my sample boxes work much, much better and that I am going to start spending much more on my skin care and hair care. But that is just an inkling. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment